Concept 17 A gene is made of DNA.
Maclyn McCarty was Professor Emeritus at the Rockefeller University. He worked with Oswald Avery on studying and characterizing the transforming ability of DNA.
- Commenting on Avery as a scientific group leader and as a person.
- Relating how Avery was a successful orator while an undergraduate at Colgate University, and his subsequent disdain for public speaking as a scientist.
- Describing the in vitro transformation experiments: the effect of removing polysaccharides from the bacterial extracts.
- Describing the in vitro transformation experiments: the effect of destroying nucleic acids.
- Characterizing the resistence to the discovery of DNA as the transforming factor: running against existing dogma.
- How the bacterial transformation experiments provided the first real opportunity to study the chemical nature of the gene.