Concept 20 A half DNA ladder is a template for copying the whole.
Frank Stahl is Emeritus Professor of Biology at the University of Oregon. He maintains a research interest in characterizing and comparing the genetic recombination systems of yeast and coliphage. Matt Meselson is a Professor in the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology at Harvard University. His laboratory studies sexual reproduction and genetic recombination, and how and why they are maintained in evolution. Arthur Kornberg was Professor Emeritus in the Department of Biochemistry at Stanford University. Dr. Kornberg investigated DNA replication.
- Describing his first meeting with James Watson and Matthew Meselson.
- Describing how he first met Matthew Meselson.
- Recounting how the seminal 'Meselson-Stahl' experiment was only performed 3 times, with one set of results discarded due to mislabelled tubes!
- On whether, upon completing their seminal experiment, Max Delbrück locked Meselson and Stahl in a cabin to force them to write up their results for publishing - how the great scientists are always looking to the 'next result.'
- Comparing the early days of molecular biology research to today's informatics - heavy genome era.
- Advice for young, aspiring scientists.