Concept 24 The RNA message is sometimes edited.
Rich Roberts is Director of Research for New England Biolabs, one of the first commercial sources for restriction enzymes that is today a leading supplier of molecular biology reagents.
Phil Sharp is the Salvador E. Luria Professor of Biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His laboratory studies both the catalytic processes responsible for splicing and the nature of the factors conferring specificity.
- Go to:
- Richard Roberts
- Recounting how he came to Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory to study viruses.
- Describing long nuclear versus short cytoplasmic message RNA, and what the differences suggested.
- Interpreting the electron micrographs that led to the discovery of the split gene.
- Developing the experimental technologies used to study DNA fragments: agarose gel electrophoresis and restriction enzymes.
- Commenting on how the real excitement of science comes when you don't know what's going on, and you get to be part of 'the chase.'