Genes can be turned on and off.
- Controlling a Gene
- This site gives an overview of the lac operon and has experiments that test the lac operon system. This is part of the larger Science Project web site, a collaborative effort between students and teachers.
- Dr. Francois Jacob — Quick Time Video
- Dr. Jacob talks about his experiments. This video clip is from the Zygote web site at Swarthmore College.
- Infection by E. coli
- The E. coli has landed! Watch the bacterium that gave us the lac operon attack an intestinal cell! Click on the link "E. coli's Infection Strategy". Brought to you by the folks at Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
- Biography of François Jacob, http://www.nobel.se/medicine/laureates/1965/jacob-bio.html
- Biography of Jacques Lucien Monod, http://www.nobel.se/medicine/laureates/1965/monod-bio.html
- Biography of André Michel Lwoff, http://www.nobel.se/medicine/laureates/1965/lwoff-bio.html
- Jacob, F., Perrin, D., Sanchez, C., Monod, J., 1960, The Operon: A Group of Genes Whose Expression is Coordinated by an Operator, Comptes Rendus des Séances de l'Academie des Sciences, 250: 1927-1929.
- Pardee, A.B., Jacob, F., Monod, J., 1959, The Genetic Control and Cytoplasmic Expression of "Inducibility" in the Synthesis of β-galactosidase by E. coli, Journal of Molecular Biology, 1: 165-178.
- Lwoff, A. and Ullmann, A., 1979, Origins of Molecular Biology: A Tribute to Jacques Monod, Academic Press, Inc., New York, New York.