A genome is an entire set of genes.
- National Human Genome Research Institute
- The latest news from the National Human Genome Research Institute, the organization that directed the publicly funded sequencing effort.
- The company that directed the commercial venture to sequence the human genome.
- Homo sapiens Genome Viewer
- This NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) viewer has up-to-date information on the location of genes, markers, and BAC clones on the human genome.
- Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues
- 3% of the Genome Project's budget is spent researching the ethical, legal, and social issues surrounding the Project. This site from the Department of Energy describes some of these issues, including gene testing, patenting, and behavioral genetics.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man
- This database is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders authored and edited by Dr. Victor A. McKusick and his colleagues at Johns Hopkins and elsewhere.
- Arts and Sciences: Magazine Summer 2000, Tracking the Man Behind the Map, http://www.virginia.edu/artsandsciences/alumni/magazine/summer00/tracking.htm
- Trivedi, B.P., Sequencing the Genome, http://www.celera.com/celerascience/news/articles/06_00/sequence_primer.cfm#citations
- Adams, M.D., Dubnick, M., et al., 1992, Sequence identification of 2,375 human brain genes, Nature, 355: 632-634.
- Adams, M.D., Kelley, J.M., et al., 1991, Complementary DNA Sequencing: Expressed Sequence Tags and Human Genome Project, Science, 252: 1651-1656.
- Beardsley, T., 1998, Profile: Where Science and Religion Meet, Scientific American, February, 28-29.
- Deloukas, P., Schuler, G.D., et al., 1998, A Physical Map of 30,000 Human Genes, Science, 282: 744-746
- Fleischmann, R.D., Adams, M.D. et al., 1995, Whole-Genome Random Sequencing and Assembly of Haemophilus influenzae Rd, Science, 269: 496-512.
- Nash, J.M., 1994, Riding the DNA Trail: Francis Collins leads an international drive to track down all the genes and take their measure, Time, 143.
- Papadopoulos, N., Nicolaides, N.C., et.al,, 1994, Mutation of a mutL Homolog in Hereditary Colon Cancer, Science, 263: 1625-1629.
- Roberts, L., 1991, Gambling on a Shortcut to Genome Sequencing, Science, 252: 1618-1619.
- Rowe, P.M., 1995, Patenting Genes: J. Craig and the Human Genome Project, Molecular Medicine Today, 1: 12-14.
- Venter, J.C., Adams, M.D., et al., 1998, Shotgun Sequencing of the Human Genome, Science, 280: 1540-1542.
- Venter, J.C., Smith, H.O., Hood, L., 1996, A New Strategy for Genome Sequencing, Nature, 381: 364-366.
- Wicking, C. and Williamson, B., 1991, From linked marker to gene, Trends in Genetics, 7: 288-293.
- Cooke, R., Man in Love with Magic of Genetics, Newsday, June 27, 2000, 15.
- Preston, R., Profiles: The Genome Warrior, The New Yorker, June 12, 2000, 66-83.
- Unger, M., Venter, Celera Built for Speed, The New York Times, June 27, 2000, 14.
- Wade, N., Craig Venter: A Maverick Making Waves, The New York Times, June 27, 2000.